Friday, April 1, 2011

Spring Break Edition: Paris, France

Continuing my self-reflecting spring break journey next stop: Paris France
8:00pm It is dark outside. The only thing I can see are the lights of the building across from me, and even those are a bit blurry through the glass window of this bus. I have just arrived in Paris, France. After taking a plane from Granada, and an hour bus ride from the airport, I am a bit exhausted. Honestly, all I can think of right now is sitting down and eating a chocolate crepe. I guess I should quit wishful thinking and find my way to the hotel.
10:00pm Two hours have gone by and I am completely lost. A nice gentlemen from Còte d’Ivoire  Africa gave me directions to the train station.  I know no French other than oui and bonjour, but I've never been one to let a language barrier get in my way of getting where I need to go. Here goes nothing, I say to myself.  
He pulls out his handy dandy iPhone 4, finds the train app, and proceeds to give me directions to my hotel. “ My dear, you are on the wrong side of Paris,” he says.  I began freaking out a bit. I have used all of the credit on my Italian phone. So if I wanted to call the friends I am meeting here to confirm that he is giving me the correct directions, I can’t.  On top of that, it is dark outside.  Jesus, be with me, is all  could think at this point.
Still maintaining some of my composure, I walk to the train station and proceed to get off at the stop the gentlemen instructed me to get off at. Something tells me to ask the train station worker if I was headed in the right direction.     
 " Bonsoir Madame, which way to Des Arquebusier? I am looking for Villa Beaumarchais Hotel,”  I ask.
“ Madame  you are headed in the wrong direction. You must take the M8 train in order to arrive to your destination."
I took a deep breath, said  “mercy beaucoup” in my most pleasant voice and continued my journey.
After 20 minutes of searching,  I finally found the M8 train.
10:45: Great! I took the train in the wrong direction. Now I must find my way to the other side of the track, and hope that this train is going in the direction of the hotel.
11:25 Finally, after asking four random people on the street how to get to the hotel, I arrive. My friends leave me a note at the front desk reading " Victoria, we tried calling you so many times but you're phone is off. We went out to eat, call us when you get here."  Was not exactly the news I wanted to hear after being lost for such a long time, however in life sometimes you just have to roll with the flow.
1:00am I am finally in the hotel room with my friends. I went on a mini tour by myself of the street the hotel was on and grabbed a delicious French meal. I could not get into the room until my friends returned, so I said “what the heck, I minds well get out of this funk I am in and get a bite to eat.”  I ordered this savory 1/4 of chicken with cut potatoes with rosemary. It was by far one of the tastiest meals I have eaten abroad.  After I ate, my mood went from not so good to great. Fed me after a long day, and I am good to go.To put the icing on the crepe, I got to watch a live French jazz show. If you know me, you know I love jazz music. My dad’s love for jazz has rubbed off on me. I wish he was there to enjoy the live music with me.  For a second (just a second) I forgot about what a hectic day I’d had.
Though it was a rough day, I would not trade it in for the world. This was truly a life changing experience. I have never in my life experienced being lost in a country that I am not familiar with. I was forced to use both my journalism and communication skills today. Although I'll only be here for less than a full day before boarding my flight to Nice France, I can honestly say the hectic day was all worth it. Now off to Nice, France in the morning. This time I’ll be traveling with two of my friends. My solo escapade has ended.





No comments:

Post a Comment