Wednesday, March 2, 2011

HUMAN INTERACTIONS




I just had a “moment” with an Italian man who worked at a near by bookstore. It was one of those “despite the fact that we are from two totally different countries, I recognize that at this very second I need your help” type of moments. I am not sure if you’ve had a moment like this before, but here is the story leading up to mine.

I decided to take a walk and snap a few photos of some of the latest window displays. I was a bit brisk outside, but who cares, I am in Florence Italy for goodness sake. I wrapped a huge scarf around my neck and off I went.

Something made me remember that I needed to buy a book for my fashion class, so I made a stop inside of the bookstore. Overwhelmed with so many books written in Italian, I decided to search for a few photography books.  As I pulled out my right hand from the inside of my coat pocket, I felt a bit of a tingle. My avatar sun glasses made a cut in my middle finger and started to bleed uncontrollably. I rushed to find the nearest sales person to ask where the restroom was. This middle aged Italian cashier leads me to the restroom with bandage tape in hand. He asked if I was okay in Italian. I replied with a simple “si, gratzie.” He stood with me as we waited for the two women in front of me to use the single person restroom.  Once they were out, he opened the bathroom door, turned on the light and water, and reached for the soap. He waited for me as I washed my hands and had paper towel ready for me once I was done. He then carefully wrapped the bandage around my finger.

I teared up a bit. Not because I was bleeding, in minor pain, but because a stranger I have never said more then five words to made an effort to assure that I was okay. I barely understood him, and her barely understood me but the fact of the matter is he had a heart. At thought moment if he didn’t understand anything else,  he understood that I needed his help. Sometimes being so far away from home, I miss being cared for by people that are the closest to me. Now of course I wasn’t about to die or anything, but it’s the little things in life that sometimes matter the most. He didn’t have to go out of his way to assure that I was okay, but he did, and I am grateful.

I ended up buying the book that was in my hand during the time this happened. It was not the book I came there for, and it was far out of my price range, but it had my blood dripping from it so I felt compelled to buy it.


Hey, that's LIFE. 

Ciao bella

No comments:

Post a Comment