Saturday, March 12, 2011

My prayers are with JAPAN


My phone rings.


“ Mom, what’s up? I am in class.” I frantically answer. My mom knows what time I have all my classes. Her calling me at this hour was quite unusual.

“Have you heard about the earthquake in Japan?” she asked.
“No I haven’t. What happened?” I asked her.

“A 9.0 magnitude earthquake struck in Japan and later turned into a Tsunami. Vicky you could’ve been there. That could’ve been you lost in the rubble. God is truly watching over you.”

Rushing to get back to class, I didn’t process everything, but once the class was over reality began to sink in.

See, I’ve been studying the Japanese language and culture since the 9th grade. In fact, my first choice to study abroad was Japan. I applied but got rejected before full submission because I’d unknowingly missed the deadline. As a result, I applied to study in Italy. My rejection didn’t stop my desire to travel to Japan. A few weeks ago, I applied to volunteer as a photojournalist behind stage for the Florentine Maggio Musicale Fiorentino. Orchestra. They are currently in Japan for a week.  I sent my resume and everything, but never heard back from them. Now, no one in his or her right mind can’t tell me that God is looking over me.

The connection I have with Japan is a very strange one. No one in my family speaks Japanese. I don’t have any Japanese friends other then the exchange student Sakiko who I hosted in high school, yet I have this burning desire to learn more about the culture. There is a certain level of refinement the Japanese people obtain. I admire their, drive, humility, and overall lifestyle. Being surrounded by so many Japanese tourists in Florence makes me want to figure out what I could do to help those in Japan affected by the earthquake. Perhaps shedding light on their situation and encouraging more to keep Japan in their prayers will do for now.

This situation reminds me a lot of the catastrophe that took place in Haiti January 12, 2010. What a devastating day that was for many. Despite the devastation, the people of Haiti remain optimistic. Haiti is a country that has been through so much. They are a country of strong faith. When I traveled to Haiti over the summer, at some moments I really wanted to breakdown in cry due to some of things I witnessed, but I refrained. If I could be granted with a smile everyday by a person with missing ligaments, and a kid no older then six years old barely dressed, what reason do I have to cry ?
One of the best qualities any human can poses is strength, and that is exactly what the people of Haiti have and what the people of Japan will gain.

God is speaking to those in Japan. I’m not sure what it is he’s saying, but I do know that he leaves no one hanging. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is up to us to follow the tough, rocky path in order to find it. Life is very unpredictable, so we must cherish it while we can.

No matter your religion, it is my hope that you ask whoever you may worship to watch over Japan.

日本のために祈りなさい,

Ciao,

Victoria


No comments:

Post a Comment