Friday, March 4, 2011

IRELAND


We arrived in Dublin, Ireland yesterday. To be quite honest, my first impression was BORING. After spending an entire day here, I have slowly grown to love it. The Irish people have shown me nothing but love.

Yesterday we wondered around Dublin. As some may know, Guinness beer is brewed in Ireland, so we went and checked out the Guinness factory museum. I never knew there were so many stages in making beer. Well “good beer” as the Irish may say.

Today, we went to more of the countryside of Ireland. We took a journey along Greystone and stumbled upon this incredible beach. Happy couples having picnics, people walking their dog, senior citizens reminiscing, it was just a nice tranquil place to be. 





This older gentleman who appeared to be in his late 60’s early 70’s caught my attention. He was sitting on a bench alone gazing out into the water and wiping tears from his eyes. I figured he’d lost someone very dear to him and came to the beach to get a piece of mind. Some of the benches  had personalized remembrance messages  engraved on the back of  them. I went over to him, looked him in the eyes and asked him if he was okay. He replied, “I’m just fine dear. Thank you so much for asking. That was very kind of you.”


I don’t know what his situation was, but I felt like I felt his pain. I wanted him to know that if no one else cared about his feelings, at that moment, I did. We are all-human and have emotions. We all have to deal with loss at some point. Every day interactions like this allow me to appreciate life more and more.

After leaving the beach we walked to a pub. It is very interesting to go from drinking wine with meals to indulging in beer. Beer is treated like a delicacy in Ireland. There is a certain way it drafted, poured, and preserved. I am not a big fan of beer, but since I was in Ireland, I thought “hey, why not take part in the Irish culture.”

Overall, it was an incredible get away. 

Ciao,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment