Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Protest

It’s Sunday, the day that I would usually sit in my dorm room at HU and do absolutely nothing.   I thought to myself, I’m in Italy for goodness sake, staying in bed all day is for lames. So I drug myself out of the bed to see what the day had to offer. Up the Ponte Vecchio toward the Duomo I went, (of course with my handy dandy Nikon in hand snapping shots of all the latest window displays).


After an hour I got bored of seeing the same ol’ sights. I decided to take a turn down an unfamiliar alley and out pour thousands of people.


At first, I had no idea what was going on, I just saw tons of people marching with signs that I did not quite understand. I immediately began snapping photos. I have only been in Italy for two weeks; therefore my Italian is still improving. After finally making my way back home, I immediately went to the bbcnews website in hopes of finding out what was going on.

Thousands of people (mostly Italian women) were protesting against Prime Minister Silvo Berlusconi. Recent scandals claim that Berlusconi paid for sex with an underage Moroccan nightclub dancer when she was 17.
Many people held signs that read "Se non Ora Quando?" meaning "if not now, when?"



Though the accusations have not yet been confirmed, I think that it is quite a shame that a man of such high regard (or any man in general) would be involved in sexual relations with a minor. As not only the Prime Minister, but also an adult, he should know right from wrong. This is quite embarrassing, and it is my hope that the Italian government gets to the bottom of this case.

Any who,

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment