Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Violin Shop



Everyday on my way to classes I take the same route, travel down the same allies, and see the same people. So today, on my way home from class, I decided to stop by and take a few photos of one of the hidden shops I pass by everyday.  I went into this small but cozy, violin shop owned by an Italian/Columbian older gentleman named Aldo. He’s been restoring violins for over 20 years. He initially caught me taking photos of the shop and invited me to come in and take a look around. 
“Usually people just stand outside the shop and stare at the window. They never have the courage to come in the shop. You’re pretty bold.” He said to me.
I told him that one thing I learned in my 20 years of living is there is no room to by shy in  the journalism or fashion industry. He chuckled.




 We talked about Florence and our up bringings and families. It's always wonderful to see that although both of us are from two totally different areas, we shared/share similar human struggles. It's a beautiful thing. 

I didn’t spend much time in the shop, but I could tell that the little time I did spend in the shop was valued. My visit to Aldo’s shop reminded me that there is more to life then making money, flashy material items, and partying. Just a simple conversation with a stranger has the capacity to change someone’s day from good to great.  Him being so open to talk to me about his family and upbringning surely made my day.




Well that's it for today. Tomorrow I’m going to go pick Roberto’s (the shoemaker) brain. Hopefully I don’t kicked out for not improving on my Italian. j/k  Lol We shall see!



Ciao bella! 

No comments:

Post a Comment